Here are ten great quotes, in no particular order, from one of my favorite books Rework by Jason Fried and David Heinemeier Hansson. I recommend it to anyone who works with anything.
I was aiming for a Top ten quotes but it was simply too hard to determine, so I settled for ten great ones.
- “When you make tiny decisions, you can’t make big mistakes.”
- “You ‘re not going to out-Apple Apple.”
- “Big companies are obsessed with secrecy.”
- “Meet at the site of the problem instead of a conference room.”
- “Don’t be afraid to show your flaws. Imperfections are real and people respond to real.”
- “No wonder so much business writing winds up dry, wordy and dripping with nonsense. People are just continuing the bad habits they picked up in school.”
- “There’s a ton of untapped potential trapped under lame policies, poor direction and stifling bureaucracies. Cut the crap and you’ll find that people are waiting to do great work. They just need to be given the chance.”
- “When everything needs approval, you create a culture of nonthinkers. You create a boss-vs-worker relationship that screams ‘I don’t trust you.'”
- “Don’t create a policy because on person did something wrong once. Policies are only meant for situations that come up over and over again.”
- “Don’t talk about “monetization” and being “transparent”; talk about making money and being honest. Don’t use seven words when four will do.”
Order Rework wherever you usually buy books, they’ll probably have it.